Thursday, September 20, 2012

This Old Man, He played Six



Technology is wonderful (And all of Jesus' people said Amen).  In all reality, it is wonderful.  However, with today's technology overload, a person can feel inferior or inadequate very quickly.  Everyday, every week, every month; new technology comes out.  I am not downing technology, because it is a great way to educate children.  But when schools start to show us something new, I think we all feel like the old man playing knick knack with sticks.  We are in technology overload (I have been using excel for years and I still don't know how to set up a function in a cell).  So when new things come out, it really makes a lot of teachers step back instead of up.  What is the best practice for technology in the classroom?  Find something you like using and get good at it.  Powerpoint, movie maker, edmodo, blogger, iNow, key note, symbaloo, facebook, twitter, e-mail, test generator, ACT quality core, Laying the foundation test generator, smartboard, apps, drop box, pod casts, ALEX, Youtube, APT Plus, ESPN, Foxnews (oops got off topic just a touch), but you get the point.  There is a lot out there.  My advice as to how to use technology proficiently in the classroom, learn how to use one very well before moving on.  I think sometimes we try to keep up with the Jones family in technology.  If technology is used correctly, it can be a great tool, but not being used correctly can hurt a child's education as much as anything.  As an administrator, I believe we must give the teachers the tools for a technological world but should keep in mind that they are teachers. 

This is a rcent article from a tech teacher.  I thought it was great.
 http://snovalleystar.com/2012/09/19/snoqualmie-valley-teacher-is-featured-in-education-week-blog

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! I can relate! Although I must admit the more I learn the better I feel about it all. I think that every Madison County teacher should have the opportunity to take this class from Mrs. Sullivan :)

    ReplyDelete